Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seatbelts Dammit!

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 22:21:08 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 04/11/2021 07:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/11/2021 9:21 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/11/2021 11:30 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've often wonder about these head on collisions. They don't give a
time but this one seems like daylight, most are night. If you see
headlight coming at you, I'd think it would be smart to go off to the
side to be sure. This section of road was very wide with a lot of
center median and shoulder.

Unless it took them a long time to respond it looked light daylight,
no visibility problems, and plenty of room to get off the road. Even
without going off road, it has two lanes like any other undivided
highway.

I start making plans when I see an oncoming driver coming my way even
if it's a perfectly legitimate move into a center turning lane.

Both were young drivers so they probably did not think to think ahead.

In other news today, nearby a storm blew over a tree taking power lines
down. A 17 year old driver hit the lines and somehow a fire started on
the driver's side so she got out on the passenger side. Stepped on a
line and was electrocuted.

Natural selection at work. I don't want to get into a women drivers
thing but I've noticed young women don't seem to have a working
acquaintance with the laws of physics. There are several 90 degree turns
around here and I've seen them take them at speeds that were on the edge
of the vehicle's abilities, but I don't think they even realize it.

A house on the outside of one of the corners started with a nice white
fence like a Kentucky horse farm. That slowly escalated to railroad ties
with a hardware store's worth of reflectors. Somebody went through it
again this winter so maybe Jersey barriers will be next.

One of my buddies up in Md (a DC Cop at the time) got tired of people
taking out his mailbox every weekend so he had me weld him up one
using 8" steel square tube/beam. He had 5' in the ground and 3 feet
sticking up. (A USPS legit mailbox bolted in the top tube). A
Corvette got him that night but it didn't drive away like the others.
The Corvette guy wasn't hurt that bad but he started talking about
suing. That's when my buddy called the county mountie The DUI he got
took a lot of that lawsuit stuff away. I don't think he ever heard
another word about it. I know the mailbox was still there when he
moved to Florida, It was scared up a might but it was still working.