Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connectors - and ring mains

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Well, All I can tell you is that people moved in in 1942 according
though the searches. The sockets were made of a very brittle brown
bakelite substance and we had to change them in 1956 when we moved in as
some had clearly overheated due to loose screw syndrome. I did go into
several of the houses along this terrace back around 58 or so and
remember, being a nerd back then too, that they all had 13 amp square
shuttered pin sockets, so unless somebody did the whole block at once,
then they must have been here since just before the war. I guess its
possible that some damage was done during the war needing some work to
them all, but no mention on the search. I was still a child but loved
things electrical back then as well.

I'm not going to do loads of research on tit but there were a couple of
socket adaptors left here when we moved in, one was for a large round
pin socket the others were several small three pin sockets on a box
shaped 13a adaptor. None of these adaptors were fused and of cours no
plug back then had shrouded pins and some of the sockets shutters were
jammed open, one assumes to poke wires in with the usual lethal
consequences no doubt. Another device that was left in the cupboard
under the stairs was an electric iron terminated in a bayonet plug that
went into a light fitting. of Brian

According to Wiki, a committee was convened in 1942 to look into the ring
main idea. But no information when production of the sockets and plugs
actually started. My guess is factories would be busy with other things
until near the end of the war.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.