Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Cine Editors

"Tim+" wrote in message
Its possible an editor that only claims to be 8mm wont show the full
frame. The films are the same width but the frame in Super 8 is larger by
virtue of only having sprocket holes down one side. Also an 8mm player
may
have twin sprockets that wont work with Super8.

Youd really need to check with the sellers. A Super8 editor would be a
safer purchase as it will play both formats I think.

The two film format have the sprockets in different places and (I think)
different spacing along the length of the film. To edit accurately and avoid
slippage, the editor needs to grip the film by its sprockets not just by
friction. So a Super 8 editor will not be backwards-compatible with Standard
8. Some Super 8 editors may be supplied with two different gates with
sprocket lugs at different pitches - but you can't rely on that.