Posted to uk.d-i-y
JNugent[_7_] JNugent[_7_] is offline

Default OT - Drivers

On 09/04/2021 03:54 pm, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Thursday, 8 April 2021 at 20:47:34 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 07/04/2021 03:41 pm, GB wrote:
On 07/04/2021 15:03, T i m wrote:

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.

The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

They get used for the school run. Half a dozen yummies take turns
picking up and dropping off each other's children, and so they need
fairly large vehicles to fit them all in. A people carrier or large SUV
fits the bill.

I know this has come up before (in other NGs), but in fact, are these
"SUVs" really any bigger (wider / longer) in footprint than very
ordinary cars from makers such as Skoda, Peugeot, Citroen, Vauxhall and
Ford?

We have had a number of Kugas over the years and these are based on the same chassis as the Ford Focus and as such no longer or wider just taller which is the main reason we went for one in the first place. The first one we went for was going to be just a two wheel drive but due to an offer from the main agent we ended up with a 4WD. Subsequent ones were all 4WD mainly for better cornering and the occasional snowy day we get here in the Pennines. I have only been off road on a few occasions if you can call it that when parking in a field for some festival or show. Present one is a PHEV and as such is a mere front wheel drive automatic. I like SUVs and since changing to one have never suffered the back ache I got driving a Mondeo and getting in and out is a cinch compared to saloons.

I fully agree with you on the matter of a taller vehicle being easier to
get into and out of - and know exactly what you mean.

It's one of the reasons why I question the common sense (and empathy) of
the anti-SUV baying mob.