Posted to uk.d-i-y
SH[_4_] SH[_4_] is offline

Default Connectors - and ring mains

On 09/04/2021 21:28, charles wrote:
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 09/04/2021 19:07, Clive Page wrote:
In fact I can just recall the old 15 amp 3-pin plugs which preceded them
and I don't think they were all that much smaller even though they were
fuse-less.

They were bigger.

Bill

They are bigger. Still used in theatres.
^^^

The reason for that is if a plug had a fuse in it and it blew during a
live performance, it was not a quick or safe job to get a maintenance
man out to climb into the suspended walkways in the dark, find the plug,
unplug it, take it apart, replace fuse, reassemble the plug, plug it
back in and vacate the suspended walkways.

instead, the arrangement was a wall of MCBs or fuses immediately after
the lighting power thyristors controlled by the lighting desk.

They were on the wall in the same room as the lighting engineer.... so
if a circuit pops, the lighting engineer had to reset/replace the
MCB/fuse there and then instead.