Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Full wave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor

ARW wrote:
On 08/04/2021 21:58, Max Demian wrote:
On 08/04/2021 17:55, ARW wrote:
On 08/04/2021 01:04, Fredxx wrote:
On 07/04/2021 22:12, Robin wrote:
On 07/04/2021 21:46, Fredxx wrote:
On 07/04/2021 21:42, ARW wrote:
Am I correct in saying that it does not matter if there is a LN
reversal on the input?

It will always have a correct +/- DC voltage.

The DC voltage across the capacitor will be the same, the
difference: one way it will be referenced to neutral, ie close to
ground, and the other will have 230V superimposed on the capacitor
terminals.

I'd assumed Adam meant a bridge rectifier as in

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...?fit=331%2C191

but I am prone to be wrong

I saw "full wave rectifier" and thought "single diode". My bad, I
should try reading a little harder.

In which case L-N reversal will make no difference.

Your link is spot on.

And the reason I posted is because I found a LN reversal on a socket
during a EICR.

The tenant was adamant a rectifier would not work.

I was convinced it would (even after a bottle wine of when I posted).

So I asked the collective wisdom of you fine posters.

He clearly doesn't understand what AC stands for, and/or what a
rectifier does.

He was an A level physics teacher which probably made me think he might
have had some understanding of the subject.

If you want to understand something, you have the option of
lashing something together in LTSpice. It's a kind of
physics teacher too. LTSpice was offered by Linear Technology
(makers of op amps and the like).

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...ter-short-time

Getting proper models of things, is a challenge. "Ideal"
models can be used for the deck in the example, but they might
not reproduce every behavior you might want. But if, as in
that example, you wanted to see ripple versus load, you can
get some idea what it would look like.

Paul