Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Full wave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor

On 09/04/2021 13:33, Peter Able wrote:
On 09/04/2021 12:38, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 9 Apr 2021 at 11:08:18 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Â*Â*Â* ARW wrote:
Â* And the reason I posted is because I found a LN reversal on a socket
Â* during a EICR.

Â* The tenant was adamant a rectifier would not work.

Â* I was convinced it would (even after a bottle wine of when I posted).

Â* So I asked the collective wisdom of you fine posters.

I'm trying to think of *any* domestic equipment that wouldn't work if
the
line and neutral are reversed?

The exception would be a half-wave rectifier when the 'cold' side of the
rectified supply was earthed.

Such as?Â* I also cannot think of any domestic equipment that wouldn't work.

That doesn't mean that domestic equipment doesn't reverse what seems
common-sense by design.Â* My gas boiler has all of its electronics
referenced to the LINE potential.

Guess how I found that out !

On many boilers the flame detection is achieved by flame rectification
between the ignition electrode and earth - I can see that failing if the
wrong end of it is effectively at earth potential.

--
Cheers,

John.