Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jurb...@gmail.com is offline

Default voltage of dimmer output not reading same on two different DVM's

" true RMS " = DC equivalent value for the *heating* effect on a resistance.

Known. but a DC meter might not be set up for that.To be, it would have to have some sort of filter and they don't really do that because they don't want the load. I think I told the guy to get a resistor and a cap, damn such uncritical values really, cana be 10K and a 47uF, or a 470 and a 10uF. It just doesn't matter if that meter has an input of 10 megs.

Of course TRMS might come in handy for an incandescent or some sort of heating element, but for LED it is out of the game.

I would think most LED dimmers say rated 400 watts (?) would be ready for multiple LEDs in parallel. This absolutely requires the max voltage delivered with PWM or they will not come on or dim at the same rate.

So he was trying to measure PWM on a DC scale, might work on an old style meter with a real meter, but not on this.

The first time TRMS did me any good was on TVs. Of all things, the filament winding of the power transformer opened up. I decided rather than change it, run the filament off the flyback. So I did and I wound the wire around the core and the meter read about 6.3 or so on TRMS and I connected it. ZAM it worked.

I found out that with that half sine, 70KHz wave repeating at 15.7Khz came to the right voltage at 22 volts peak to peak off the fly.

I had adventures in that. Shorted H-K ? We I got a winding for that. Panasonics seemed to be really affected by the capacitance though I tried to keep it low. So I EQed the video output circuit for it, just a cap in the emitter of one of the transistors. Short intermittent ? Fine, I just put like a 4.7 K in there to make it shorted all the time.

I did all kinds of **** for that company that nobody else would do.

Now this devout, religious person who is partner wants me to lie, to put in a good review on their local whatever they got. I would in exchange for a really glowing review of me but I am not looking for work. I even stopped advertising my business. I got enough now.

I doubt the guy in Florida has my number, I might leave it that way. After all this starting a business to **** off the goniffs etc in this business and put them out of business with truth and nice reasonable repairs, I am going to lie ?

Geez.