Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Lightning strike.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
But the story teller was very
definite about it being a TV aerial strike.

You often can't tell whether the lightning hit the aerial or the
nearby
masonry. I've been to a lot of these.

But would hitting the house structure cause so much electrical damage
it and the surrounding ones?

Typically it'll be obvious where the strike was; could be anywhere.
Nearby downleads will be melted, masthead amps burnt out. Sometimes the
aerial itself will look OK but the balun with be gone.

Yes - what I'd expect. What I'm not convinced about is an aerial strike
travelling to other houses and doing severe damage there.

I've never been convinced that an aerial strike would take out
the entire house mains wiring unless it’s a tiny flat with very
little in the way of mains wiring, let alone other houses.