Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Full wave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor

Yes I was confused as normally one would use an isolating transformer in
such a case. Also if you are inputting ac, the hum you hear will be 100 hz
not 50hz.

I cannot think of any safe usage for this idea connected straight to the
mains other than making your own electric execution chair perhaps.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 07/04/2021 21:42, ARW wrote:
Am I correct in saying that it does not matter if there is a LN reversal
on the input?

It will always have a correct +/- DC voltage.

The DC voltage across the capacitor will be the same, the difference: one
way it will be referenced to neutral, ie close to ground, and the other
will have 230V superimposed on the capacitor terminals.

If an electrolytic capacitor then diode polarity will be very important.

What are you trying to do?