Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Drivers

"charles" wrote in message
Spot on - likewise the "flasher" who waves a car out of a side turn -
oblivious to what is coming the other way. Just wanting a "nice"
credit.

Or Brighton where people turning right simply drive half way across
(forcing cars to come to halt) expecting that the stream cars in
the other direction will stop/slow and allow him in.

That is more a London procedure when you're fed up with waiting at a
junction. The usual technique was to either wait for a brand new car or
a taxi. Taxis will always back off and prevent an accident if they can.

That is because they cannot 'ply for hire' if the vehicle has body damage.

I didn't know that. How strictly is it applied? Is it *any* scratch or
scuff, or is there a minimum amount of dent that is allowed before the rule
kicks in? Is the taxi driver expected to "evict" his passenger immediately
the damage occurs, or is he allowed to continue the passenger's journey to
the end, and *then* withdraw from service?

I imagine the fairly hefty "puking penalties" that taxi drivers may levy to
a passenger who throws up in their car are to cover the time the car is off
the road getting valeted, because I'm sure a similar rule will apply about
not plying for hire if there's puke in the back of the car.