Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 08:22:34 -0000 (UTC), Scion
wrote:

snip

On the test you are meant to click on a "developing hazard" (I think that
was the wording) and in theory the sooner you click the better the score.

I bought a DVD that had dozens of clips and rated your score. I clicked
waaaay to early on a lot of them;

I think that was the most common 'fault', even by those who weren't
already drivers / rider (especially the computer game players). ;-)

I got the correct hazard but I wasn't
supposed to have realised by then.

Quite.

Example: a cyclist some way in front on the left. Parked cars. Relative
speeds made it obvious that the cyclist was going to be moving out to get
past the parked cars at the same time the video car got there. Click. Zero
points. Apparently the I was supposed to click as the cyclist started
moving out.

Yup.

Other examples - a car approaching a junction a little too fast;
pedestrians approaching a zebra crossing; brake lights coming off a car
parked on the left.

When I joined BT we had to watch a load of safety training videos and
one was about driving (I guess in case any of us ended up out on the
'Holes and poles'). The video was stopped as a black cab was pulling
out from the kerb opposite a petrol station as a blue car was about
to go past the cab from behind with other cars around etc. The trainer
asked us if we could say what was going to happen next and my
suggestion was that 'the blue was going to go in off the black'. (I
guess you had to be there). ;-)

In addition, all but one clip had just one hazard you were supposed to
click on. If you got the wrong one - a child walking on the pavement next
to the road, for example - you couldn't then click on the intended hazard
later on in that clip.

Yes, I think there were such interlocks and as you say, a sliding
scale of scores, depending on how soon you saw the hazard, but not
before.

The CG version was much clearer, both in graphics quality and intention.

Can you get a trial / demo of that online do you know OOI?

Cheers, T i m