Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

T i m wrote:

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 20:41:05 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

A Honda 50 kept me mobile through my student years.

So that was yer classic main tube + pressed frame step through with 3
speed crash (auto clutch) gearbox and leading link front suspension?

That's the one

Towards the
end it had a few problems - the timing seemed to need almost
weekly adjustment,

Strange?

Indeed. I've no idea where the real problem lay.

There was an occasion, whilst plodding along the East Lancs Road,
when the slightly oscillating engine sound that I now know to be
the sign of a worn/ stretched chain was followed by the noise of
the chain wrapping itself around the sprocket.

Ooops. Didn't the 50/70/90 have full metal chain guards?

Yes, it all happened inside the guard.

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on this bike. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I didn't usually do the trip during winter, but there was one
February at the end of term (thin sandwich) where I had to get it
home to Barnsley. As I began the run the throttle started
sticking open. Stripping it down in sleety rain wasn't an
attractive proposition, so I just pressed on. As it had an
automatic clutch, I was a bit unsure how I would cope, but it
made it OK. Changing down, the engine was slowed enough to cope,
changing up was a bit more vicious. There was only one stop
line, and I managed to crawl across with judicious braking.
Turned out it was water in the slide that was jamming it, and a
bit of oil was all it needed.

It did have indicators, but they were almost completely hidden by
the panniers. When right hand signals were called for, the
throttle grip flew back. Nothing I could do with the various bits
of springy steel seemed to improve matters, so life could be a
bit interesting.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK