Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default How to tighten gland nut earthing ring?

John Rumm wrote:
On 06/04/2021 20:05, Chris Green wrote:
Is there any sensible way to tighten SWA gland earthing ring nuts?
Even on the smallest size (20mm hole) the gland nut is 24mm or 25mm
and I've never managed to find a spanner of that size that has any
chance of getting at the nut.

You can't tighten from the outside because that would twist the wire -
or is the correct technique to tighten the gland in the box before
tightening the cone nut (if so the DIYFAQ needs to be changed or added
to to indicate this is how to do it)?

I guess a short stub of a box spanner with a tommy bar welded on might
do the job but I doubt if you can get a socket onto the nut, it's too
thin. I don't have any box spanners this big anyway.

I have a small set of waterpump style pliers that can just about get
onto the standard back nuts. Quite often I ditch the standard nut and
use a Piranha nut instead since they are much easier to get a grip on,
and also give you a handy earth tag fixing point without needing the
banjo tag.

Yes, as I said above I really don't understand why the standard nuts
are so thin and bigger that all the other nuts on the glands.

--
Chris Green
ยท