Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttlecontol (motorbike etc)

NY wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
NY wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
A Nissan Leaf allows one pedal to act as 'go' and 'stop' doesn't it ?.
This means you can hold the car on a slope without the handbrake.

Not sure if you put you foot under it and attempt to lift it that
the car goes backwards :-)

Having learned to drive on a car with at least two and preferably three
pedals, I would find it very difficult to get used to a single-pedal
car,
where releasing the pedal completely applies the brakes.

Do let us know when you find one. As far as Im aware they dont exist.

So the reference to the Nissan Leaf was incorrect?

No, you read that it could be driven in €śone pedal€ť mode and made in
incorrect extrapolation. It still has a brake pedal that you use in the
normal way if and when you want to.

So you can turn off brake-when-lifting-off-accelerator mode if you choose,
while still retaining regenerative braking in addition to friction braking
but controlled by the separate brake pedal?

As far as I am aware, its a user selectable mode, not a default mode.
Its not useful when your out on the open road cruising.

I got the impression that
regenerative braking was often only available when lifting off the power,
and that the separate brake pedal only controlled friction braking. I may
well be wrong ;-)

Once again, you are. The brake pedal will in the first instance use
regeneration to slow the car in most EVs.
Under heavier braking the brake pads come into play.

Not all EVs will come to a complete standstill when you just lift off the
throttle but some have this as a selectable mode. It can be very handy in
stop/start traffic in towns as you dont have to keep switching between
accelerator and brake.

As long as you have got used to the extra retardation caused by lifting off
the accelerator completely, compared with that for a mechanical/automatic
gearbox and an IC engine.

Once again youre over-simplifying and imaging problems where they simply
dont exist. My experience of difference EVs is limited but by default,
lifting off produces a similar deceleration to being in top gear. Most EVs
though allow you to adjust the amount of lift-off deceleration. If you
live in hilly rolling countryside say you may opt for a higher level of
regenerative braking to reduce dancing between accelerator and brake.

Some have €śadaptive€ť regenerative braking that uses forward facing radar
and will modify the automatic regenerative braking on the fly to slow you
down automatically in queueing traffic say.

For normal driving, is it necessary to keep your foot on the accelerator all
the time that you don't want more-than-air-resistance retardation?

I dont know of any car that moves without some application of the throttle
(excepting downhill of course). Once youre cruising it feels no different
from being in top gear in any car.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls