Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 14:17:12 -0000 (UTC), Scion
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:25:00 +0100, NY wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message

A trick some say you can / should do on bike tests (where the examiner
follows you on another bike or sometimes a car) is to not filter past
stationary traffic, even though you might normally as that opens up
more opportunities for things to go wrong and more time to do more
stuff with the same risk). ;-)

I got a positive comment for filtering past a right-turning car on my
test. That was filtering on the left, of course, and only one vehicle.
Bombing down the RHS of a long queue is more likely to be frowned upon.

Sure, I think they like to see you 'making good progress' and
hesitation can be held against you, as can traveling too slowly of
course.

I'm glad I don't have to take a test today. I'd be fine with the actual
driving, but the hazard-perception tests might be a problem - not
because I can't identify hazards but because the image on the screen is
very small and you are expected to see things in the video earlier than
they are visible. In real life, the problem probably wouldn't apply.
That's when I tried the test on a PC at the Birmingham Motor Show once -
technology and screen sizes have probably improved a lot, but I've heard
that they still penalise you if you identify a potential hazard which
the designers of the software hadn't included.

The hazard perception test changed about 5 years ago.

Oh, interesting. I'm not sure if I've seen one of the latest ones
then.

They binned the
camera-shot video and it's all computer generated now. I did both tests
and found the video one impossible. Too much driving experience already -
almost everything that moves, and some things that don't, are hazards.

Quite.

The computer generated one makes it obvious what the intended hazards are.

I'm not sure that's the point ... other than to get people though the
test of course. ;-)

I scored exactly twice as much on the CG test as I did on the video one.

Given how poor the std level of observation / consideration for other
road users is on the roads sometimes I'm sure if they made it too
realistic, very few would pass.

I know we all have to start somewhere but some never seem to improve
their skills past just enough to pass the test. ;-(

What going to motorcycle rallies they often put on all sorts of
challenge or riding skill tests. One simple one was to sit on your
bike and set the width of a gap as seen from a reasonable distance
that you think you can *just* get though (there would be a guy moving
a stick with a weight on the end in and out as you instructed. Then
you had to ride down and stop with the widest part of your bike
(typically the handlebars or mirrors) in the gap and the closest of
the day wins). ;-)

Cheers, T i m