Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

"Tim+" wrote in message
A Nissan Leaf allows one pedal to act as 'go' and 'stop' doesn't it ?.
This means you can hold the car on a slope without the handbrake.

Not sure if you put you foot under it and attempt to lift it that
the car goes backwards :-)

Having learned to drive on a car with at least two and preferably three
pedals, I would find it very difficult to get used to a single-pedal car,
where releasing the pedal completely applies the brakes.

Do let us know when you find one. As far as Im aware they dont exist.

So the reference to the Nissan Leaf was incorrect? And I've seen other
references in this and other newsgroups about some electric cars having a
brake (typically regenerative) built into the accelerator pedal, such that
when the pedal is completely released, the car doesn't coast but instead is
slowed down by regenerative braking. I don't have any experience of this:
I'm just quoting other people's descriptions of it.

I defy most drivers to be able *reliably* to change gear without using
that
pedal that "doesn't appear to [do] much" ;-) Some cars are better than
others for doing clutchless gearchanges: my 13-year old Peugeot is dead
easy, and I think it always has been fairly easy even from about 20,000
miles when I got it. But my wife's 5-year-old Honda is a lot more fussy
about getting the speed very accurately the same - it is less forgiving.
never try a clutchless change while she's in the car ;-)

Why would you bother other than as a €śparty trick€ť? Its not good for your
synchromesh.

Agreed. It is mainly a "party trick". I was commenting on someone's
description of the clutch as a pedal that "doesn't appear to [do] much" by
saying that, apart from the skill of doing clutchless gearchanges, it *is*
rather important and definitely does do something.