Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 08:16:39 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

NY wrote:

But I think I could walk up the very non-PC Blackboy
Hill quicker than my mate's Honda 50 moped could manage it ;-)

I remember having to take the test again, in the 60s, having
upgraded from my dad's old NSU Quickly (there's an oxymoron)

I had a 3 speed and it was faster than many mopeds at the time but it
certainly wasn't 'fast' (not compared with a tuned 'Fizzy' anyway).
;-)

which was a moped, back when that designation meant it had
pedals,

'... as an alternative means of propulsion and had to be less than
50cc'? I think the rule that it 'not be able to do more than 30 mph'
came in quite a bit later.

to a Honda 50, which was not in that category.

If it was the 'Honda 50' (Cub), the stepthough motorcycle then no, it
wasn't a moped, unlike the my 'Honda P50' with the engine in the back
wheel, that was.

Pretty
daft really, since it then meant that I could (and still can)
legally drive any bike; not that I would dare.

Same here. Mrs had to do her CBT and took one test (+ theory?) and
could ride anything after 2 years on max 25hp or something? However,
she chose to do her apprenticeship starting with a KH100 then CG125
(then she got why 4/s were 'better' than 2/'s), 2 x XV535 and then her
XV750 (and towing optional camping trailer). ;-)

Daughter had to do CBT, Part 1 and 2 (and theory) was also restricted
for 2 years to a lower hp bike and could then ride anything (currently
a 600cc Suzuki Bandit). Because of her age I don't think there was any
point her doing the 'Direct access' (to the bigger bikes) at the time
as she was below the age for bigger bikes in any case (so just waited
out the two years on a MZ 250). ;-)

Two wheels were
for me simply an economic necessity at the time, not a lifestyle
choice.

They have never been a lifestyle choice for me either but a transport
option / choice. They also provide some alternative entertainment.
Like, I rarely 'just go for a drive' in the car, but will 'just go for
a ride' on a bike, when the weather / circumstances suit. We will also
turn up at the biker hut in the car, if the weather isn't too good.
;-)

Initially it was the interest of getting powered transport (I bought
the Honda P50 off my English teacher at Secondary school (for £5) with
a stripped plug thread) repaired it then rode it from my 16th birthday
till being given and collecting the NSU Quicky as a wheelbarrow full
of parts, put it together, got that road legal and carried on on that
.... because it was Quicker than the P50. ;-)

I've currently only got my CB250 (Nighthawk) on the road but the BMW
R80 could be if I fancied but I'd say I get just as good a kick
pootling round the twisties on the CB250 as I have on anything (even
though it's a bit small on me). ;-)

Cheers, T i m