Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol(motorbike etc)

On 06/04/2021 17:04, Tim+ wrote:
NY wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 06/04/2021 13:29, T i m wrote:

You press a pedal on the floor and the car goes faster and you press
another pedal on the floor, the car goes slower and press a third that
doesn't appear to much. ;-)

A Nissan Leaf allows one pedal to act as 'go' and 'stop' doesn't it ?.
This means you can hold the car on a slope without the handbrake.

Not sure if you put you foot under it and attempt to lift it that
the car goes backwards :-)

Having learned to drive on a car with at least two and preferably three
pedals, I would find it very difficult to get used to a single-pedal car,
where releasing the pedal completely applies the brakes.

Do let us know when you find one. As far as Im aware they dont exist.

I have got too used
to no pedals meaning the car coasts and I have to make a positive action to
apply more than token air-resistance/bearing-friction levels of retardation:
having to maintain *some* pedal pressure all the time to keep the car at a
constant speed would be very tiring on the foot.

I defy most drivers to be able *reliably* to change gear without using that
pedal that "doesn't appear to [do] much" ;-) Some cars are better than
others for doing clutchless gearchanges: my 13-year old Peugeot is dead
easy, and I think it always has been fairly easy even from about 20,000
miles when I got it. But my wife's 5-year-old Honda is a lot more fussy
about getting the speed very accurately the same - it is less forgiving. I
never try a clutchless change while she's in the car ;-)

Why would you bother other than as a €śparty trick€ť? Its not good for your
synchromesh.

Its not bad for it either if you know how to match speeds

Tim

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman