Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare Michael Chare is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol(motorbike etc)

On 06/04/2021 11:10, NY wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 10:08:08 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

snip

Yup - I've owned about 8 - 10 bikes and ridden about 45 - 50
different ones
and they've all been so, even the ancient iron Hog.

It's funny, I assume (obviously incorrectly in this case) that
*everyone* (and certainly in the sort of demographic we find here)
would have been involved in a motorbike of some sort at some time?

No, I've never ridden a motorbike. I went straight from walking to
getting a car. I have more experience with bicycles than motorbikes. I
remember riding a friend's bicycle which was the only one which I've
ever encountered with the front and rear brake levers the opposite way
round. Maybe it was originally for the LHD market where the back brake
is placed so the opposite arm is free when signalling to turn (left)
across traffic.

Interesting that they standardised on anti-clockwise for opening a
motorbike throttle, because bending your hand backwards to hold the
throttle open is very uncomfortable for more than a few seconds.

I suspect it is because on a motor bike you need to be able to operate
the right hand brake lever. When you apply the brake with your fingers
your thumb will rotate the throttle clockwise and close it, which is
probably what you want. I must remember this the next time a use an
outboard engine.

--
Michael Chare