Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 13:51:19 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 06/04/2021 12:15, Steve Walker wrote:

Although I have never ridden a motorbike, I have tried a friend's trike.
I found the direction of throttle control totally counterintuitive.

Well it could mean that as you brake hard your bodies and hands tendancy
is to grip the handlebars harder and rotate the top towards the
direction of travel, thereby cutting the throttle, surely ?.

Sort of.

I can't remember 'learning' to use a twist grip throttle and the first
one I used was probably the tiller extension on a British Seagull
outboard motor when very young (maybe 8 or so). The std throttle was a
thumb shift on the tiller but if you fitted the ally tube extension
that had a wire hook on the end, it gave you 'remote' control of the
thumb shift and so a twist grip throttle.

After that it would probably have been my own moped.

When braking a conventional motorcycle with handlebar mounted front
brake lever, I think you are right and you might typically help unroll
the throttle as you squeeze the lever between fingers on the lever and
thumb round the and / or heel of your hand on the twist grip.

Cheers, T i m