Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol(motorbike etc)

On 06/04/2021 12:15, Steve Walker wrote:
On 06/04/2021 11:10, NY wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 10:08:08 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

snip

Yup - I've owned about 8 - 10 bikes and ridden about 45 - 50
different ones
and they've all been so, even the ancient iron Hog.

It's funny, I assume (obviously incorrectly in this case) that
*everyone* (and certainly in the sort of demographic we find here)
would have been involved in a motorbike of some sort at some time?

No, I've never ridden a motorbike. I went straight from walking to
getting a car. I have more experience with bicycles than motorbikes. I
remember riding a friend's bicycle which was the only one which I've
ever encountered with the front and rear brake levers the opposite way
round. Maybe it was originally for the LHD market where the back brake
is placed so the opposite arm is free when signalling to turn (left)
across traffic.

Interesting that they standardised on anti-clockwise for opening a
motorbike throttle, because bending your hand backwards to hold the
throttle open is very uncomfortable for more than a few seconds.

The wheelbarrow has the added problem that although the two powered
wheels have wide inflated tyres, the single rear wheel has a very
narrow solid tyre which leaves ruts in a gravel drive or on grass. A
wide tyre might make steering a bit more difficult but wouldn't get
bogged down.

Although I have never ridden a motorbike, I have tried a friend's trike.
I found the direction of throttle control totally counterintuitive.

I rode a moped once.

As you say as it accelerates you tend to accidentally open the trottle.
All lever throttles I have ever come across have 'maximum rabbit' as a
push away from you, as do aircraft throttles AFAIK - IANAP.

Twist grips seem to break this rule universally.

--
€œI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy