Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lightning strike.

On 05/04/2021 16:34, GB wrote:
On another group, I heard about a lightning strike to a house, via the TV
aerial. Aerial went to a DA. Seemed it burnt out all the house wiring and
every appliance in it. Requiring the owners to move out for months while
it was all sorted. Seems it also travelled to other houses in the street
too via the mains and caused much damage there too. Was rather surprised
to read this. I've seen a TV destroyed - but not so much extra damage.

I was reading about why there are so many more lightning deaths in some
countries than others. One reason is because of plumbing. The lightning
finds the easiest route to earth, which is through the plumbing and
electrics, rather than the people.

I know someone that was thrown across the room and the kitchen sink
blown off the wall, when a nearby ground strike travelled into the house
via the pipes!