Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Building cupboards and shelves

On 05/04/2021 14:32, RJH wrote:
On 5 Apr 2021 at 13:32:10 BST, "newshound"
wrote:

On 05/04/2021 12:45, RJH wrote:
On 5 Apr 2021 at 07:47:18 BST, "RJH" wrote:

On 4 Apr 2021 at 20:57:40 BST, "newshound"
wrote:

snip

One thing you *must* make first if you are building from sheet is a
sawboard, or even better a pair of them, 4 foot and 8 foot. I made mine
from 9mm plywood. These save an unbelievable amount of time because you
can cut everything straight to size with accuracy better than 1mm. Next
to no post-cut fettling.

+1. I've got a 1m aluminium clamping sawboard from Aldi, and use it a lot
with
a circular saw. A straight edge clamped does me for longer lengths.

Ah -

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy-tool...de-rail/p41446

That's only a saw guide though, and only metric 4 feet long. The cutting
line is offset from the edge of the guide. A sawboard is like this, but
with a "base-plate", when you make it you make this over-size and then
trim it, with your circular saw, so that it exactly matches the saw. So,
to use it you mark out the *exact* position where you want the cut on
your work. And you clamp the sawboard on the required material, not on
the offcut. So you get a straight cut exactly where you need it. The
baseplate also helps to prevent splitting/delamination of plywood on the
emerging side of the cut. Oh, and when making a sawboard use one of the
as-sawn edges for your saw guide, that way the final cut will be dead
straight. If you are working with full 8x4 sheets you really need an 8
foot board as well. (On the rare occasions when you are making a
diagonal cut more than 8 feet long I have always found you can still get
a near-perfect result by cutting twice with a repositioned board).

Thanks, yes, I did make one, but had an incursion accident and ruined it. For
my purposes/skill level keeping the blade away from the guide/board is the way
to go . . .

Nowadays I just use a 2m length of timber for longer cuts and clamp it to
whatever I'm cutting. Trimmed 2mm off a door recently - perfect cut.

A way to make this easier, is to cut a stip of ply that matches the saw
base edge to blade offset.

Then mark you cut point, lay that at the exact place you want the cut
edge, and use it to guide where you clamp your guide in place. Then you
remove the strip before cutting. That way there is no danger of cutting
into your guide, but you still get the accuracy of a sawboard.

--
Cheers,

John.