Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Air Source heat pump inlet pipe in cellar?

On 05/04/2021 13:28, Paul wrote:
Robin wrote:
On 04/04/2021 20:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Theo snip
Water source is best, if you have a lake or river available.

I have a river:-)
Â* I suspect the EA may object to me extracting heat from it. Actually
warmer than spring fed due to upstream sewage treatment.

I don't see why in principle given it's being done up and down the
country by various councils.

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/heat-pu...urce-heat-pump

Â* "Depending on the type of heat pump, either the water from a river
Â*Â* or small stream is pumped through the heat pump, or a special
Â*Â* refrigerant fluid is pumped through pipes laid in the body of water.

Â*Â* While both have their own advantages, the latter type requires
Â*Â* less maintenance and an easier application process, making it
Â*Â* a cheaper option."

Â* "Environmental Legislation to Keep in Mind

Â*Â* Specific environmental regulations and considerations must be addressed
Â*Â* before installing water source heat pumps. Open-loop systems alter the
Â*Â* temperature of groundwater, while thermal plumes affect hydrochemistry
Â*Â* and bacteriology.

Â*Â* Depending on the type of system you wish to install, licenses may be
Â*Â* required. For example, hydrogeology and thermal properties have to be
Â*Â* investigated, and they require a license to examine groundwater and
Â*Â* an abstraction license (permission of diverting surface or groundwater)
Â*Â* which can be obtained from the Environment Authority."

That last paragraph, can be a bitch.

True. As so often, no pain = no gain But I thought (perhaps wrongly)
that Tim was already familiar with abstraction licences. And there are
some simplifications for systems for single domestic properties. See
under "Surface water open-loop heat pump systems for a single domestic
property" at
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/open-loop-heat-pump-systems-permits-consents-and-licences#standard-rules-permits-for-surface-water-systems

--
Robin