Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Hydraulic bicycle brakes

On 5 Apr 2021 at 07:39:15 BST, "soup" wrote:

On 05/04/2021 07:23, RJH wrote:
On 5 Apr 2021 at 06:49:08 BST, "soup" wrote:

Sorry guys I am not really expecting an answer . It's just that I asked
in Uk.rec.cycling but it immediately degenerated into a trollfest.

I don't want to go the whole drill out the lever body, tap the hole
insert a helicoil reinsert bleed screw route. I think I would rather
just pay the £30 for a new lever set-up

Recently bled/burped my (Tektro)brakes but the wee screw that goes into
the lever feels like it has stripped. The front lever bleed screw
tightens fully but the bleed screw for the rear just spins .

Do I have no option but to buy a new lever for the rear brakes or does
someone have a way of rescuing the situation ?

C (or rather the wee hole it fits into).
https://i.postimg.cc/9QxKZXrq/Screenshot-134.png

The diagram lists a bolt for the bleeding port. Can you remove that, see
what's going on, and order the part that's failed?

It's the thread of that hole, so it's the main body,I don't think they
supply that separately, Even if they did, I think there would be
minimal cost difference between replacing that and buying a whole new
lever assembly

Ah OK - looks from that diagram that bolt 'C' screws into the lever, and a
non-shown screw is the bleed nipple. But I take it that the bolt is all there
is?

I would err on the side of caution - a lot of pressure in those things.

I am coming around to that way of thinking myself .
"Just buy a new lever assembly and have done".

Think I will try Chris's suggestion of PTFE tape first (have to make
sure there are no 'tags' on the tape as the tubes [carrying the
hydraulic oil] are very narrow and easily blocked leading to no brakes,
ARRGGGHHH!).

Indeed, might be worth a whirl as proof of concept, but there will be a lot of
pressure under hard braking.

--
Cheers, Rob