Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Building cupboards and shelves

On 4 Apr 2021 at 20:57:40 BST, "newshound"
wrote:

On 04/04/2021 13:51, wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking to fit out our study and have a design that has some
cupboards/ chest of drawers at the bottom with shelving above - a bit like
this https://www.nevillejohnson.co.uk/luxury-blue-lounge/

I am planning on making the shelving bits myself but am toying between
buying kitchen cupboard type units for the cupboards/ drawers and making
them myself out of the same material I use for the shelves. It will all be
painted so I guess it is a balance between aggravation, time and cost.

Would appreciate any thoughts you have on the matter

Also, what would be the best material to make it out of and what thickness?

Thanks

Lee.

snip

One thing you *must* make first if you are building from sheet is a
sawboard, or even better a pair of them, 4 foot and 8 foot. I made mine
from 9mm plywood. These save an unbelievable amount of time because you
can cut everything straight to size with accuracy better than 1mm. Next
to no post-cut fettling.

+1. I've got a 1m aluminium clamping sawboard from Aldi, and use it a lot with
a circular saw. A straight edge clamped does me for longer lengths.

--
Cheers, Rob