Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New Glass cutting tool

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 7:52:44 PM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
Well actually I can not take credit, my wife was using ceramic knife
from Harbor Frieght to cut an apple. She was cutting on a small corel
plate it broke, so if you have trouble cutting glass with the typical
glass cutter.

I got three knives for about $26 before tax. They are good knives.

Mark

Many years ago I had placed one of those red clay flower pots on a
Corelle dinner plate. I don't recall why, but at some point I decided to
spin the pot on the plate, perhaps to look at a different side of the
plant.

One small turn, a screech was heard and the plate exploded. It sent
ridiculously thin curved slivers flying about 3 feet in all directions.
Ah, but it wasn't done yet. For the next 15 minutes or so, the part
of the plate that remained kept making these little "clink" sounds
as more skinny curved shards continued to break off of the edge
of the plate and drop to the table.

Obviously, I hit the resonant frequency of the plate which caused
the initial explosion. The more amazing thing, at least to me, was
the internal stresses that remained, causing continued, yet gentler
*curved* damage. It was pretty freaky.