Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Building cupboards and shelves

John Rumm wrote
wrote

I am looking to fit out our study and have a design that has some
cupboards/ chest of drawers at the bottom with shelving above -
a bit like this https://www.nevillejohnson.co.uk/luxury-blue-lounge/

That's ok, although the shelves look a little
"heavy" (visually) compared to the rest.

I hate the very dark result.

The shaker style is also about the easiest thing
you can make, while being solid with clean lines.

I did a few doors like that for our utility room -
made from 3x1 softwood and 9mm MDF:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...oorOutside.jpg

Very quick to make on a table saw or on a router table.

I am planning on making the shelving bits myself but am toying
between buying kitchen cupboard type units for the cupboards/ drawers
and making them myself out of the same material I use for the
shelves. It will all be painted so I guess it is a balance between
aggravation, time and cost.

To be fair I have done both...

From scratch:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...e_and_cupboard
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...n_media_centre

Both those were basically just boxes built from sheet materials and made
pretty with a face frame. The raised panel doors and drawer fronts being
around 19 - 22mm thick

This one was similar, but going a bit more light weight (about as light
as you can go really for the size). Here the same thickness frames, but
only 6mm ply for the panels.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...fice_furniture

I have also tried the "cheat" approach with ikea chests of drawers as a
base:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Bedroom_study_unit

The latter is certainly quicker, although you don't get as much control
over the look of the end result.

Would appreciate any thoughts you have on the matter

What tooling, space have to got available to build in?

Once things I found with big projects like those, is its easy enough the
make the bits, but test assembly and fit can be difficult if workshop
space is at a premium.

Also, what would be the best material to make it out of and what
thickness?

I have found 1/2" ply for drawer boxes and unit backs is fine. 3/4" ply
or MDF for cabinet sides, Softwood "structural" ply is nice to work, but
lacks the flatness of traditional WBP ply. MDF raised panels are ok, and
dimensionally stable, although take more effort to prime and paint if
you want them to look good.

--
Cheers,

John.