Chet Hayes

Default new foundation question

Are we talking 10 degrees farenheit or celsius when the concrete was
poured? Concrete will cure ok down to temps just above freezing,
though the curing times increase quite a bit. Below that, it will not
cure properly. There are forms available which are insulated and
additives that will make it cure faster, etc. The concrete generates
heat itself, so if the correct procedures are used to keep it
insulated, pours can be done well below zero. Has anyone talked to
the building inspector? He should have done an inspection, was he
aware of the conditions it was poured in and procedures used?

As for the french drain, it sounds like the house should already have
these. There should be a drain tile system along the foundation,
leading to a sump pump hole, which is there to then pump the water
out. Just having these doesnt guarantee a dry basement, but it is a
big help.

It's not uncommon for new homes under construction to have some water
on the basement floor as they are being built. Typically, the site
has unsettled soil, improper grading, etc at that stage. Once
everything is finished, that's when I would become concerned with any
water.