Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default a bit OT: Will a 78 rpm record damage a normal stylus?

Paul wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

AIUI the filler in the records was deliberately made so that it
was very hard and would wear the steel needles, which were only
supposed to be used once. This was the main source of the
background noise.

I did once see some needles that supposedly had a diamond tip for
longer life. I have no idea what the effect would be on the

According to this, the diamond brings out more of the sound.

http://www.vjm.biz/styli-for-playing-78s.html

The things you learn. The recording is like a sanding disc for
your styli.

Indeed so!

And that's why the steel needles for our 78, came in a small envelope,
and why there were so many of them.

Yes. The instruction to "Use needles once only" used to have a
for more innocent interpretation

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Songste...-/164613883580

Chris
--