Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Conundrum

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 03:04:18 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

On Saturday, 3 April 2021 at 10:51:25 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 08:32:23 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:
snip
Whoever decided on the change from 3 weeks between doses to 3 months has
turned out to be ABSOLUTELY right ...

I think what most consider amazing is how they came up with the jabs
for what most considered 'a new bad thing' but was in fact (to those
in the know) just another variant of a group of 'known bad things',
corona viruses that we already have vaccines against?

I'm not taking that away from them etc and I believe they actually had
the vaccines *very shortly* after it first emerged, it's just taken
the time it has to get tested / approved / mass produced etc?

I think you are mis-representing the state of play re coronavirus vaccines prior to Covid-19.

I'm not sure I was trying to 'represent' anything but question, hence
all the question marks? ;-)

Wiki, I think, is reasonably accurate when it says:

"Prior to COVID?19, a vaccine for an infectious disease had never been produced in less than several years—and no vaccine existed for preventing a coronavirus infection in humans.[10] However, vaccines have been produced against several animal diseases caused by coronaviruses, including (as of 2003) infectious bronchitis virus in birds, canine coronavirus, and feline coronavirus.[11] Previous projects to develop vaccines for viruses in the family Coronaviridae that affect humans have been aimed at severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). Vaccines against SARS[12] and MERS[13] have been tested in non-human animals.

According to studies published in 2005 and 2006, the identification and development of novel vaccines and medicines to treat SARS was a priority for governments and public health agencies around the world at that time.[14][15][16] As of 2020, there is no cure or protective vaccine proven to be safe and effective against SARS in humans.[17][18] There is also no proven vaccine against MERS.[19] When MERS became prevalent, it was believed that existing SARS research may provide a useful template for developing vaccines and therapeutics against a MERS-CoV infection.[17][20] As of March 2020, there was one (DNA based) MERS vaccine which completed Phase I clinical trials in humans[21] and three others in progress, all being viral-vectored vaccines: two adenoviral-vectored (ChAdOx1-MERS, BVRS-GamVac) and one MVA-vectored (MVA-MERS-S).[22] "

So, to me that says 'they were a good way into developing vaccines for
some things but not some specific ones'?

I mean, if they we able to come up with one (several) for Covid19 so
quickly, are we saying they did so (and very quickly) from scratch?

Were the Covid19 vaccines 'easy', compared with all the others or how
were they able to come up with them so quickly, compared with the
others?

I'm not stating anything (again), still questioning. ;-)

And following up from your initial statement ... was the fact that
they turned out to be '(absolutely) right', '(just) lucky' / well
informed guess?

Cheers, T i m