Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default a bit OT: Will a 78 rpm record damage a normal stylus?

Chris J Dixon wrote:
JNugent wrote:

On 02/04/2021 11:53 am, newshound wrote:

You could also play 78's using hawthorn thorns instead of the standard
steel ones (which were much the same length and diameter). Not sure if
this was for economy, or to reduce record wear, or whether some
considered that it gave a better tone.

The makers of fibrous (natural material) needles used to advertise them
as providing warmer tone and reducing wear.

AIUI the filler in the records was deliberately made so that it
was very hard and would wear the steel needles, which were only
supposed to be used once. This was the main source of the
background noise.

I did once see some needles that supposedly had a diamond tip for
longer life. I have no idea what the effect would be on the
record.

Chris

According to this, the diamond brings out more of the sound.

http://www.vjm.biz/styli-for-playing-78s.html

The things you learn. The recording is like a sanding disc for
your styli.

And that's why the steel needles for our 78, came in a small envelope,
and why there were so many of them.

Whatever wears off your stylus choice, gets deposited in the groove.
Like hawthorn fibers.

Paul