Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Minor Mystery

On 04/02/2021 02:31 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
What does the bandwidth do/affect? I can assume from the pricing that more is
better and is there a good resource to learn how to use it? More questions to
follow, I'm sure.

Short answer, it determines the maximum frequency you can reliably
measure. More is not always better. The rule of thumb is the stated
bandwidth for a digital scope should be 5 times the frequency you're
interested in. For example the Atmel chips used in the Arduinos
typically are clocked at 8 or 16 MHz. The Z80 family, which still is one
of the most widely used processors for embedded systems, has a similar
range. A scope with 100 MHz bandwidth would be fine. 300 MHz and you
might see noise, harmonics, and so forth to confuse the issue.

https://www.tek.com/document/online/...loscope-basics

From the horse's mouth...

and the 12 minute version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zyptPLlJI

Sparkfun is one of the more popular outlets for hobbyists:

https://www.sparkfun.com/

Adafruit is another

https://www.adafruit.com/

I've been playing around with one of these

https://www.adafruit.com/

using circuitPython. I've got a couple of the standard Arduinos that are
programmed with a C/C++ subset. There is an Arduino IDE and you can tie
it in with Visual Studio where with CircuitPython the interpreter is on
the device and all you need is a text editor.

What are you interested in doing? A 100 MHz scope is also adequate for
the ham HF bands or CBs.