Posted to uk.d-i-y
pinnerite pinnerite is offline

Default Gorilla Glue failure

Let's be fair, it may not be the glue. It could be the user - me.

he items glued together are the ends of the arm of a cast alluminium patio chair. One of six. The arm is bolted at the bottom to the seat and at the top to the chairback.

The break came at the point where a bolt is screwed through the arm and into the chairback. It simply snapped.

This first happend in the summer. When I first tried to locate the sections, I realised that the joint had been under stress. So after gluing wit superglue, I filed the hole to allow the bolt free movemnt.

I thought that would be the end of it but a couple of days ago, the first when we coud sit with up to six people, it snapped again at the same point. I forgot that I had used SuperglueIt and because it looked clean glued it agin wuth two-part gorilla glue (a bit like Araldite). It was no good and came apatrt again as I bolted it in.

On inspection it hada sticky feel and instead of glinting, the brocken areas are a dull grey. I tried cleaning them with petrol. I am not sure if I was successful.
So before another attempt, I thought I had better garner the benefit of experience.

TIA, Alan

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.