Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default EICRs

On 02/04/2021 08:15, Robin wrote:
On 02/04/2021 01:05, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/04/2021 22:31, Robin wrote:
On 01/04/2021 18:40, GB wrote:
On 01/04/2021 09:25, Robin wrote:

Another option for you: ask him to check with NICEIC his grounds
for the 1 year certificate.Â* Point out that while NICEIC used to
recommend an EICR on change of tenant that didn't make it into the
law.Â* That only requires an EICR every 5 years.Â* So his approach is
way more onerous.

Thanks very much, everyone. We have resolved the issue amicably, and
the electrician has kindly reissued the certificates.

He remains firmly of the opinion ("I know for a fact," he told me a
few minutes ago) that a new certificate is required on a change of
tenancy.

He likes doing EICRs for landlords, and I suspect that he is storing
up a lot of problems for the future**. He's a nice guy, very hard
working, and I would prefer to set him straight. Do you know if
there's anything from NICEIC I can show him that says he's wrong?

I've thought of another issue that you might like to put to him.

Many HMOs involve just one (joint) tenancy - eg where students or
other friends are sharing.Â* But other HMOs are let on the basis of
several sole tenancies - one for each room.Â* So every time a room is
re-let there's a new tenancy.Â* A new EICR for every new tenancy could
mean several a year for the same installation.

Does the need for a EICR cover lodgers, who are normally there under a
licence rather than a tenancy?

OTOH I'd expect landlords to do a walk-through on such a change to
check for damage to sockets etc. So he could pitch for that work on
the basis of him also replacing such sockets etc on the spot and then
providing a short report.

No. Excluded by para 2 of Schedule 1.Â* Or see the official guidance from
HMG at

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

The guidance includes their best effort to wriggle round the way they
went ahead with a regulation that mandates "the electrical safety
standards" of the 18th edition despite admitting that they never
intended to require landlords to replace every plastic CU etc.

Interesting, so if you have 4 or more lodgers then it's a HMO, below
that and you don't need an EICR.

It is strange how social housing are exempt, all all the tenancies that
might well require a periodic inspection, that would be one.

How do you become a Social Housing provider? :-)