Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default HP DV5 stop overheating issue?

On 2/4/21 3:32 pm, David Farber wrote:
On 3/27/2021 5:33 PM, Rheilly Phoull wrote:
On 28/03/2021 7:04 am, Hem Jung wrote:
Five years ago, I acquired a nice used HP DV5 laptop.Â* Only problem
is that after only running for a short time, it slows almost to the
point

of a crawl in speed.Â* At first I didn't know what the reason was,

but
then I discovered that if I aimed a small fan at it, the problem went
away.Â* So a couple of years back, I used it for days to help nuke

some
hard drives that were being disposed of with no issues.Â* Now I want
to bring it out for a long term data logging project.Â* I suppose I
could put a fan on it again, but trying to cut back on electricity
and also there must be a better way.Â* Any ideas would be welcome and
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the cpu fan for fluff etc ?

The HP laptops of that vintage are well known for their poorly
engineered cooling systems. Not only can the CPU overheat but the GPU
will also overheat. This will cause all sorts of video issues. Open the
laptop and thoroughly clean out the accumulated dust in the heat sinks,
vents and fans. There are all sorts of youtube videos to walk you
through the procedure. If you repair it before the video chip gets
cooked, it should last a long time. A bit of advice regarding the
youtube videos that demonstrate how to re-flow the solder on a failing
video processor, it's only a temporary fix and not worth the trouble.

Apple sold Macbook Pro's around 2010 made with a new soldering
profile/process that caused the GPU balls to crack. Eventually they were
persuaded (by a class action) to replace any that were returned, even
outside the warranty period - but the replacement logic boards had the
same fault and failed again within a year. Ask me how I know

After over a decade of using Apple hardware, I am now determined that my
next computer will *not* be an Apple.

CH