Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default a bit OT: Will a 78 rpm record damage a normal stylus?

On 02/04/2021 11:06, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/04/2021 01:07, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/04/2021 23:28, JNugent wrote:
On 01/04/2021 09:51 pm, Tim+ wrote:

We already have to have a small pre-amp as theres no phono input on my
amp.

The ceramic cartridge (eg, as found on the classic Garrard, Collaro
or BSR autochanger and fitted with a flip-over mechanism for swapping
between vinyl and shellac styluses) doesn't need a pre-amp stage. You
can just run the output direct to your soundcard input.

You might loose quite a bit of bass depending on the input impedance.
I guess an sound equaliser can make up some of the loss.

Does that means that a piezo cartridge has a very high impedance, suited
to valve amps? I used to have a transistorised table radio with the
obligatory "gram" input that worked all right with a piezo cartridge.
Maybe quality wasn't an issue.

You can get high impedance with transistors too.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly