Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default a bit OT: Will a 78 rpm record damage a normal stylus?

It depends. If its one of the old type of brittle ones which were meant to
be played with steel needles I think accelerated wear, some groove rattle
and incorrect eq should be expected. Most sound editors these days seem to
have a speed change mode made for this case. I remember that if you have an
Ortofon cart then you can buy proper 78rpm stylii for those.
The groove deviation may well over run the normal parameters and cause
distortion, its very much a suck it and see situation I think. Myself I'd be
looking for an old autochanger deck from an old radiogram I think , to play
it on, one of those with the turn over needle made of sapphire and a
crystal cart.

In later years though when 78s were pressed in Vinyl, most people used
electronic playback gear, so you might find the surface noise a lot less if
its one of those.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" wrote in message
Weirdly I found an old 78rpm record of Harry Gordon stuffed under a hedge
this morning whilst out for a run.

I have a conventional record deck and wondered about playing it once at 45
rpm and recording it and then speeding up the playback.

Would this work?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls