Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default a bit OT: Will a 78 rpm record damage a normal stylus?

On 02/04/2021 08:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , williamwright
writes
On 01/04/2021 18:47, Tim+ wrote:
Weirdly I found an old 78rpm record of Harry Gordon stuffed under a
hedge
this morning whilst out for a run.
Â*I have a conventional record deck and wondered about playing it once
at 45
rpm and recording it and then speeding up the playback.
Â*Would this work?
Â*Tim

If you hold the corner of a plastic banknote in the groove and rotate
the record you will hear the music. Yes really. It does work.

My Aunt's wind up gramophone worked quite well using a sewing pin
attached to a stiff paper cone:-)

Bored childhood!

A darning needle gripped between your front teeth worked well, too !

I've played 78s using a microgroove stylus. It didn't do any visible
(under a microscope) damage to the stylus.

PA