Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default can't get OBDII reader to work

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 23:29:47 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 21:38:50 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2021 17:35:18 -0400, micky
wrote:

It's labeled a PDF file, but it it won't display as a pdf file, or at
all, in either of two pdf readers.

So I rename it to be an .exe file. Then it won't run "on this
computer", windows 10.

Put it back to PDF and try to open it in Word. Sometimes that can open

I tried LibreOffice and it says the file is corrupt. (I don't have
Word.)

a file Adobe thinks is corrupt (not exactly a PDF)

I don't have Adobe either. I've been using Firefox and Chrome browsers
and they just ignored it when I tried to open the file. At last
Libreoffice gave me an error message.

You can open it in Notepad and see if the first 4 bytes are
"%PDF"

Aha. I didn't know that. But I actually did that first, after I read it
here.

And the first line is
PK
  ¢lgK
þrhMè

And the second line is:
ÿ , NT Wonder Installer_NT301_V5.20_20171107.exeìý

Almost the same as the file name,
NT Wonder Installer_NT301_V5.20_20171107.pdf .

So it supposed to be an .exe file, which is not surprising since it's
called an installer, complete with a version number, and what I guess is
a date, 20171107, and yet even when I renamed it to end in .exe, it
won't run. (And I had dl'd 2 copies of it and they show the same values
inside.)

I guess I have to write them.

By now you've read the intereting part, so if you want, skip to the
PUNCHLINE at the bottom.

Or maybe PK means it's a PK zip file? Do people still use PKZip?
Regardless, I'll try to unzip it.

Well that seemed to work, unless one can unzip any file and get the same
file! It's not quite the same file. The dl'd file is 15,262,507 and
the only result of unzipping is one file, 16,714,240. Since it's
longer, it must really have been a zip file iiuc.

Well, I finally found installation instructions at
http://www.foxwell.com.au/nt301-pc-a...-installation/

And part of what it says is:
Click on the download link to download, a zip file of the PC application

What is the download is complete locate the file and right click to extract
the file to your computer using win zip or your chosen file extractor.

So they did plan to call it a zip file.

So I ran the file but Malwarebytes called it malware and it
dissappeared. To run it again I'd have to unzip it again.

Malwarebytes is definitely too finicky, but since the date is older than
what I have, I'm going to stop now. (It complains about lots of
websites too, that AVG never complained about.)

One would think they could have written this so antimalware program
didn't complain about it.

PUNCHLINE
They still have their file mismarked, with no text to help. Not only
that, the date on the file they offer is 11/07/2017
but the date in my reader is 7/17/2018.

Even though my version is v2.24 and
their file seems to be v5.20.

A newer version would just have data for newer cars, anyhow, cars made
since 2018, and my car is a 2005.