Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Double glazing, approximate cost, recommendations?

Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Our flat is the lower one of the two duplex flats in the middle of the
block, i.e. its windows are the bottom four windows under the upper
duplex flat's balcony.

So what sort of ball-park figure are we looking at to get all four
windows replaced with double glazing? All the windows are are floor
to ceiling and the downstairs one on the right has a door onto the
balcony.

A few thousand pounds I guess, tens of thousands?

What is access like? Can they get to it with a ladder, or with scaffolding
from on top of the garages? Or would they need to scaffold from the ground
up?

Easy from the balcony, it's very deep (length of garage basically)

(or can window firms do everything from the inside these days?)

Would you need to get approval from your management company/etc? It looks
like everyone else has double glazing so that might be easy.

It's 'our' management company, i.e. the flat leaseholders own the
freehold, so that's pretty easy.

Also, any recommendations for companies to do the work?

Worth talking to your neighbours - so you can get frames that match theirs.

I don't like theirs all that much! :-)

OTTOMH I would be thinking about £1K per 'normal' window if things aren't
'complicated' (and these are big windows so possibly cost a bit more).

Thanks.

--
Chris Green
·