Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

On 31/03/2021 22:00, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Hopefully "inflammable" will be expunged from the English language
one day (prefer "flammable"

Its flammable that is dying out.

"Flammable" is the official word used in Health and Safety briefings
(https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/about.htm) and the Fire Brigade
(https://www.firesafe.org.uk/safe-wor...e-substances/).
It will take longer for "inflammable" to disappear from "folk vocabulary".

As long as no-one equates "inflammable" with "non-flammable", it's fine.
But anyone who thinks they are safe with a product that is (wrongly)
labelled "inflammable" is in for a nasty surprise. There was a big
campaign about "inflammable" as part of product labelling a few years ago.

It's like when you're in Germany and need an emergency exit, you have to
tell yourself that "Notausgang" does *not* mean "this is *not* an
emergency exit - find another way out" but instead means "this is the
emergency exit", because "Not" is German for "emergency". The same is
true in either Norway or Denmark (I forget which), except it's "nod"
rather than "not" followed by their word for "exit". Strange the things
you notice on coach trips - because I always have a quick look when I
get on a coach or a train to see where the emergency exits are. Not that
I'm obsessed, but I have a quick glance as I'm walking down the aisle.

Teh most famous German I never heard of is Herr Eingang - they named
thousands of streets after him...