Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

In article , says...

Boy, I'd think long and hard before making a $4,000 repair on a car with
130,000 miles!

That car was bought new and he was still making payments on it. I
forgot how old it was,but probably around 5 years old. Had it been me,
I may have told them to come and get that piece of junk and just let it
go back. He was probably worried about it messing up his credit. I am
now in the shape that credit score does not matter to me, but it is over
800 anyway. I did buy 2 new cars lately, one a few years back and
financed it to the max at 0 % and another about 6 months ago and
financed it for about 4 % for the max. Could have paid cash for
them,but would have cost a lot in the long run if I had taken the money
from where it is doing well in the stock market.

I had a Toyota that the recommended timing belt change was 60,000 if I
remember correctly. I was getting ready to trade for a new one and had
about 80,000 miles on the belt. One dealer was going to allow me $ 500
for the trade in value (car had over 190,000 miles on it). Thought the
cost of the belt replacement was around that , so decided to drive it
and chance the belt holding when I had about 70,000 miles on it. I did
keep the car and sold it to someone where I worked that could replace
the belt himself. I was honest and told him the belt was about 20,000
over due and to replace it the first thing. I let him have it for the
$ 500 the dealer said he would allow me.