Curt Martin

Default Water Softeners, good or bad??

rdkapp wrote:

Another thing....if you're adding a softener to a home water system that has
existed for many years and you live in a hard water area, your pipes will
have hard water buildup inside them. As the soft water travels through the
pipes, it will pick up hard water minerals and make the water "less soft"
than if you had new pipes. Our home (and pipes) are 34 years old. I added
the softener when the pipes were approximately 26 years old. I've noticed
that newer homes with softeners have softer water than I have in my home,
but it's still an improvement and I wouldn't do without it in any home that
I reside.

If you have your water tested at the tap, then set your softener
accordingly, it should make up for any hardness at the tap, shouldn't it?