Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

On 31/03/2021 18:44, williamwright wrote:
On 31/03/2021 15:33, Adam Funk wrote:
Similarly, I had an out of use UHF aerial splitter under the floor, that
always floated high enough to give you a good belt, despite the cables
being connected to nothing else!

Well, that's weird.

In 55 years as an aerial installer I never came across such a thing.
Sounds like there actually was a connection to the mains hidden away
somewhere.

No, definitely not.

One lead (from the aerial) from the back of the house straight to the
splitter. Cut off at the wall, as I was building a conservatory and it
was in the way. No need to replace it as I was using satellite by then.

As they were not in use, I cut off two of the the three cables from the
splitter to the sockets, at the socket end, so that I could use the
back-boxes for satellite connections.

The third cable went to an aerial socket for the PC and was again not
used, but left connected to the socket.

All this was under the same through-room and while lying (it's too low
to sit) at the splitter, you could see the entire run of all three cables.

I can only think that one of the cables was coupling to one or more
parallel mains cables and giving enough volts, but with negligible
current, to give you a jolt if you touched the splitter.

Definitely nothing to do with static either, as once you'd touched it,
touching again immediately would give you another jolt.