Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

On 31/03/2021 15:36, Adam Funk wrote:
On 2021-03-30, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:16:43 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 29/03/2021 23:32, soup wrote:
Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually
happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

As a very young child I got a nasty jolt from putting my fingers in a
lamp bayonet socket. I didn't do that again! But the worst shock was
when, as a young teenager into hobby electronics, I was making a small
valve-based transmitter. I was holding the HV DC +ve lead (about 350V)
and went to move the large smoothing electrolytic the -ve was soldered
to. I didn't know that the -ve and metal case were often connected. My
hand clamped around the electro so that I could not release it, but very
fortunately my biceps muscle also contracted and I involuntarily threw
the electro across the room, thus breaking the connection. It was one
hell of a shock, and I was very lucky the connection had been broken.

ISTR being told that you should test an exposed wire (????) with the back
of your hand so that any muscle reaction will not cause you to grab hold
of it.

Better testing devices are now available (but I'm told my grandfather
used to use that kind of technique to check whether wiring was on or
off).

So did my grandfather. Unfortunately for other people, he seemed to be
electricity proof and what he could touch without a problem would give
others a hell of a belt.