Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Electrocution

On 2021-03-30, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:32:04 +0100, soup wrote:

Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

Well didn't an MPs daughter die of a 240V shock in a domestic incident ?

And Keith Relf formerly of the Yardbirds was killed in an electrocution
at his home (so presumably 240V).

When I was at Uni a lecturer mentioned checking out a neighbours cooker
that was "buzzy" when you touched it. He found there was no earth and
600V potential between it and the sink ...

OK, you've got my curiosity --- how do you get a 600 V difference
inside one house?

More than one phase (not in most houses, but definitely in some);

IIRC, that's 415 V.

transformers; charged capacitors.

I suppose you could get a fault in an appliance to do something like that.

In my case an induced supply - I have a cable connecting my boiler (in
the kitchen) to a control box (in a bedroom). It is one continuous run,
no connections en-route and there are no other connections to the
boiler. It runs alongside other mains cables and if I isolate it at the
control box end, that cable and the boiler electrics float at around 90V
- which may not be in phase with other, nearby supplies.

Well, that could get up to 330 V (if it's completely out of phase).

Similarly, I had an out of use UHF aerial splitter under the floor, that
always floated high enough to give you a good belt, despite the cables
being connected to nothing else!

Well, that's weird.