Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Electrocution

On 2021-03-30, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:32:04 +0100, soup wrote:

Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually
happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

Well didn't an MPs daughter die of a 240V shock in a domestic incident
?

And Keith Relf formerly of the Yardbirds was killed in an electrocution
at his home (so presumably 240V).

When I was at Uni a lecturer mentioned checking out a neighbours cooker
that was "buzzy" when you touched it. He found there was no earth and
600V potential between it and the sink ...

OK, you've got my curiosity --- how do you get a 600 V difference inside
one house?

I have no idea exactly. We were discussing "earths" and the fact that
your earth and my earth may not be the same. Isn't that why there's earth
bonding everywhere ?

ICBW, but ISTR that potential variations in the actual Earth caused
one of the big blackouts in the USA or Canada decades ago. However,
that's a voltage over a much larger distance than from a house's cable
entry to the kitchen.

It was thanks to this lecturer that I always factor a sudden loss of
power and services into a building that can last a day into my BCP/DR
planning. "Murphy and his jackhammer" were a recurring theme ...