Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Electrocution

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 30/03/2021 18:24, HVS wrote:
On 30 Mar 2021, NY wrote

The English language really does need another word to mean
"received a serious *but non-fatal* electric shock". Maybe we
should avoid being King Canutes, and accept that people will use
"electrocuted" for the non-fatal meaning, and devise a new wording
such as "electrocuted to death".

"Electrocuted to death" is in fairly common use -- but it hasnn't
solved the problem, as "electrocution" continues to be used for both
fatal and non-fatal shocks.

Similar ambiguity when it is said that someone has been "shot".

Ambiguous, yes. But I wouldn't say that "shot" (non-fatally) was wrong
usage, just that "shot" *is* ambiguous and I would always clarify "shot
dead" or "shot but survived".

"Electrocution" is different. That really needs a different word for
"shocked but survived". We need to invent such a word ;-)